Friday, November 18, 2022

Bishop Daniel's November 14 email

 

Dear Friends in Christ,


“Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you” (Matthew 7:7).

Jesus asks a lot of questions. I once read that Jesus asks over 300 questions. Often Jesus answers a question with a question. What’s up with that? Why so many questions, Jesus? Is it because questions help us to pause and to ponder? Is it because questions help us dig just a bit deeper? Is it because questions have a way of leading us to a new place in a new way?


Late last week, I was looking for a blessing to offer at a prayer retreat. I didn’t find the blessing I was looking for, but I did find a series of questions by Father John O’Donohue. He calls his questions, A Mirror of Questions, to be asked in prayer at the end of the day. These are rich questions to pray and to ponder. Give these questions a try this week and see where your soul may be stirred and strengthened.


  • What dreams did I create last night?
  • Where did my eyes linger today?
  • Where was I blind?
  • Where was I hurt without anyone noticing?
  • What did I learn today?
  • What did I read?
  • What new thoughts visited me?
  • What differences did I notice in those closest to me?
  • Whom did I neglect?
  • Where did I neglect myself?
  • What did I begin today that might endure?
  • How were my conversations?
  • What did I do today for the poor and the excluded?
  • Did I remember the dead today?
  • When could I have exposed myself to the risk of something different?
  • Where did I allow myself to receive love?
  • With whom today did I feel most myself?
  • What reached me today? How did it imprint?
  • Who saw me today?
  • What visitations had I from the past and from the future?
  • What did I avoid today?
  • From the evidence – why was I given this day?


Credit: John O’Donohue, To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings, page 98.


A Few Comings and Goings

On Sunday morning, I was blessed to worship with Pastor Rob Spicer and Pastor Robin Small and the people of God at St. Mark’s, Bowling Green.


On Monday, November 14, at 11:00 a.m., I will be joining Pastor Sam PaynePastor Robert Gibson, and the people of God at St. Matthew’s, Lima, for the funeral of Pastor Arvid Harklau. Please keep Elaine and the Harklau family in your prayers. Click here to view Pastor Arvid Harklau’s obituary.


On Tuesday afternoon, November 15, I will be meeting virtually with the Conference of Bishops.


On Wednesday morning, November 16, the Synod Staff will be meeting with Pastor Dan Rift, who serves as the Director for ELCA World Hunger and Lutheran Disaster Response. Pastor Rift will provide an update on current World Hunger and Disaster Response initiatives.


From November 17-21, I will be traveling to Guadalajara, Mexico, to meet with President Roberto Trejo Haager, who serves as the President of the Lutheran Church in Mexico. I will be joined by Bishop Deborah Hutterer of the Grand Canyon Synod and Paulina A. Dasse, who serves as the ELCA Program Director for Relationships in Latin America and the Caribbean. Together, we will consider ways to partner in mission and ministry.

2022: The Year of Vision Memory Verse


Revelation 21:5a “And the one who was seated on the throne said, “See, I am making all things new.”


2022 Bible Study: All Things New

Student Guide
Leader Guide
Bible Study Resources
NWOS Highlights
Grace Between the Lines

My Current Learning


Book: Tell It Slant: A Conversation on the Language of Jesus in His Stories and Prayers by Eugene H. Peterson


Audio Book: Surrender: 40 Songs, One Story by Bono


Podcasts:

  • Akimbo: A Podcast from Seth Godin
  • Bible Project


Apps:

  • Pray as You Go
  • Centering Prayer

Bless you,


Bishop Daniel G. Beaudoin

Twenty-Third Sunday after Pentecost

No comments:

Post a Comment