Friday, June 4, 2021

Interim Grace Notes for June 4, 2021

A Blog to Keep you Updated

Welcome to the Interim Grace Notes blog! As an interim pastor, I have developed a habit of writing a weekly electronically sent message for council members, staff and other key leaders, to keep those key congregation persons abreast of what I've been doing as your interim pastor, and how the interim is progressing. It's also provides a way to share important information, documents, and links to other resources on the internet. Writing a regular blog post also helps me keep on top of what I've been doing and how I've been spending my time. I am putting these updates into a blog so that everything I have written will be easily accessible, in case there are bits of information that you may be looking for. I normally write the blog post on Friday, and send a link to the latest post via email, or if you prefer, via text message. Each weekly blog post will be linked in an email, but you can also access the blog directly at https://interimgracenotes.blogspot.com/.

On Site vs. Work from Home

As your interim pastor, I will be working both on site in the office and around town and the area for ministry purposes, and from my home in Huron. My proposed schedule is to take Monday as a regular day off, and be on site on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Wednesday and Friday will be work from home days. I will be onsite additional days as circustances dictate.

A Bio for the Newsletter

I have sumitted a bio piece to the church office for inclusion in the July newsletter. You can read it then, or, if you prefer, you can also read it HERE.

Tuesday, June 1 a Day of Firsts

My first day as your interim pastor was Tuesday, and it indeed was a day of firsts; first meeting with Linda and Maureen to receive updates on congregation members, especially those needing special attention and concern. First staff meeting -- I had the opportunity to meet the excellent staff of Grace and LIFT. First sermon to have title and printed text ready by end of day Tuesday. Thanks Tricia, for extending the deadline to noon Wednesday!

Zoom Meetings this Week

  • Synod Leaders Zoom Check-In
    This Zoom meeting has been offered by Bishop Daniel and Synod staff for synod congregation leaders since the beginning of the pandemic last March. Initially offered twice a month, the meetings recently have been monthly, and now the plan is to take the rest of the summer off. Speaking of rest, that was the theme of this week's meeting on Tuesday at 4pm -- the importance of rest, sabbath, and using the summer weeks for renewal. A number of resources were offered, and you can find them linked HERE. This Zoom Check-in will go on hiatus for the remainder of the summer.
  • LIFT Leaders Meeting
    Although this meeting was in-person at Grace, I joined via Zoom from home. Primarily a check-in meeting, we also were reminded of some important upcoming events, including the Block Party in August.

Met The Soup Kitchen Crew!

LInda took my down to the kitchen on Thursday morning to introduce me to the Grace Soup Kitchen crew. Very impressive to learn that this has been happening at Grace for decades! Several other congregations I have served as interim have had feeding programs, and they all have been impressive and inspirational. I hope that this ministry will be able to continue for as long as people in the community need food and companionship. Truly a living out of Matthew 25:35!

Lots Happening in Worship This Weekend

My first weekend worship at Grace will be plenty busy. There will be a baptism at the Saturday service, and high school and college graduates will be recognized at 10am worship on Sunday. Heather will assist with that part of the service. My message is geared for the high school graduates. I understand there will be a meet and greet after each of the weekend services, so looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment